Wednesday, July 10, 2002

You see what happens when you go to bed early...

I admit it, I fell asleep early last night and thus missed out on all the fun. (Except for the first couple innings, and of course the National Anthem, which amazingly doesn't make the bottom five worst National Anthems, whiffing three words and all.) Don't know what happened except that I was dead tired for some reason, and though I had the TV on in the other room to the All-Star game, when I laid down on the bed I was out for 3 hours. Thus I missed out on actually bearing witness to what has to be the perfect ending to Selig's game.

I can't actually be angry at MLB for this, even if it does have the distinct feel of someone caving into Fox panicking that the game ran long. I have developed a small amount of sympathy for any organization that puts together such a big event when entropy happens to it. Having a cop come to try to shut down your event will give you a cold shot of perspective. But Bud, don't spin it like it was in the best interest of the players, and don't pass the buck on to the coaches! That's just bull and you know it, Bud. If you can't stand up for your own actions, how do you expect us to greet them with anything but skepticism?

This also changes my theory that the new Star Wars trilogy is based on major league baseball's labor trouble. Episode I with Darth Selig and Padme Schott, yes, but now the order has changed, and now Episode II seems to be ahead of baseball events.

The thing I'm thinking is that, had this been 1972, 1982, or even 1992, we as fans would have understood, or at least we would have not reacted as it has gone down. But we're post 1994-95 strike, and all the free passes baseball had earned long ago have been spent. Keep this in mind, folks, when you go in to negotiate. Clones of Barry Fett will be ready sooner than you think.

No comments: