Tuesday, August 20, 2002

Twas my birthday today. 29, for those of you guessing at home. I get morose and hopeful on days like this, marking out the accomplishments of the year. And since it conveniently is the two minute warning on summer, my mind often turns to where I stand, and where the circuit stands. The problem is, I don't know if either is in that good a shape. So allow me to phrase these in terms of my birthday wishes for the circuit.

I wish for a circuit more accessible to the freshmen who will be coming in. Not merely the top high school players, but every player. May we give them the opportunity to enjoy themselves, and discover that the while the game is more fun to win than lose, it is still better to lose than to not play.
I wish for a circuit more accessible to teams that don't play often. I wish for a circuit that gives opportunity to everyone. More junior bird/new team events, more events in general. And I wish that the circuit goes out and reaches these teams, that they may become part of the circuit.
I wish for a circuit that realizes how small it is, and how large it can be. I wish for a circuit where the fragility of programs and personalities are understood. I wish for a circuit that recognizes that no one will care, only if we shut ourselves out from people who might care, if we run from the world.
I wish for a circuit that realizes how hurtful it can appear, and how petty its arguments can become. I wish for a circuit that realizes that the appearance it puts on in public forums can be the first thing someone sees, or the last thing. I wish for an open and hopeful circuit, willing to show others the way, not show others the door.
I wish for a circuit that understands that while it is significantly more than just a game, it is a game, and that those who take it with the utmost seriousness, and the most miniscule of seriousness can and should coexist.
I wish for a circuit that realizes that is more than just a group of teams and players combatting each other, it is a community of people who share an interest in the interesting, a circuit that welcomes everyone to it, no matter who they are, or where they come from, as long as they share a love of learning. Even if we don't admit this to ourselves, this is what we are, or can be.

I don't know whether it's possible to change the circuit, make it better, larger, more tolerant, more open. It won't change in a year. But it is a beautiful dream, and we might push it there a little. And that's worth my efforts for another year.
A decade ago, I played in my first circuit event. I did well enough, but I could have done other things easily enough. The reason I chose to stick with it was not necessarily because I enjoyed the game, or the learning. I stuck because I enjoyed the company. People who enjoyed knowledge, and sharing it with others. Place me in that situation with the circuit today, and I can't be sure that I'd stay. If we lose that magic, then we lose it all.

No comments: