Sunday, August 11, 2002

I spent the day at what was, until this year, Washington County's premier sporting event, the Adios. It's an interesting race, given it involves having a horse turn around and do two races within about 2 hours. More importantly, it's a major social event, or at least it had been. Now it's kind of been by the fact that horse racing has taken a major hit on popularity, and since it's harness racing, not thoroughbreds, it's somewhere below cricket on the radar. My family's ticket was punched by my uncle's sponsorship of the race, and the dealership giving away a car. So I was sitting there in the clubhouse, surrounded by the gently decaying patrician class. From the people who brought you The Bridges of Madison County, The Combovers of Washington County.
The event also brought out the Republican candidate for governor. I got to shake hands. I'm still trying to figure him out, whether he's an empty political suit or just more concerned with actually getting things done. That's the danger really. I really want to root for him. He's local, from the county, which means he'll be sort of moderate strain I appreciate. But I also guess he's doomed, I can't see a former DNC chair not being able to simply outspend him, and given the comically bad performance he gave in the Democratic primary, I fear it will be pure negativity from one side, and the other side unable to deal with it. Shame, really. On my most Machiavellian level, I hope he gets in, and as a result we could get the contract for PA's state tournament, the one that pretty much is seen as a joke by every team that's seen any other format.

No comments: