Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Been a while, hasn't it?

Suffice it to say that between Kidder Cup and HSNCT, I've been a little preoccupied. And since both were laden with topics, it may take a couple days to get all the bits typed out.

Collapsing into the seat of the airport shuttle last night, I thought: "So this is what it looks like when it all works." HSNCT was like that. I won't call it perfect, because such a thing just can't reasonably happen, but it might have been closer to perfect than anything we've done before. There were mistakes, but they were all minor, recoverable, and quickly corrected. For the first time since the first ICT, I was really, really happy with how everything ran. And that's not a slight against previous tournaments, it's just that this was one of those events that not only was everything we expected, which is where we have been before, but it also gave me the feeling that new possibilities have opened up.

One NIFL angle not covered by the others was an odd moment after the game. I can't explain exactly who the guy was, but having seen my Ohio Valley Greyhounds shirt, he not only identified it, but put two and two together, and started regaling me about various Greyhounds whom he "had". I'm not sure what to make of that, except I really hope he meant he was their agent. Then I think about it and realize, I'm actually hoping someone is an agent of NIFL players, NIFL players whose game salary is around $200. One thing about the NIFL, even when you're convinced we're making it up, we're not.

No comments: