Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Note: I've updated the Entering Freshman Contact List including stuff from HSNCT, upstate NY, and emails to me. More will be forthcoming.

Cleaning out the weekend notes

One aspect of the NIFL game I forgot about until now was the initial entry into the "arena". They were offering flyers of upcoming events. One of these upcoming events being an oldies concert featuring the Skyliners. When we can complete the circle DEK->NIFL->Relations of DEK, in three moves, I should have realized the pure comedy goldmine that lay inside. (As a side note: Nice picture of Skyliners playing pool available on Jason's weblog here.)
Connecting to that, I mention that as I'm typing this (Saturday), I flipped past one of WQED's infinite pledge drives. Tonight, instead of running the Doo Wop 50, featuring the Skyliners, they're running an R&B concert. However the real story here for me was the fact that I tune in to hear "Ladies and Gentlemen, Demond Wilson." My attention locks in, because this appears to be the only known appearance by Demond Wilson since Hammerlock (check the review, it looks like a possible rival to US Seals in terms of MST3k bot-fodder, we may have to test this theory). The one thing I'm wondering is whether the two events were simultaneous.

AMUSING FOOD NEWS
Updating our previous mention of McDonald's serving its salads Pittsburgh-style (with fries on top), this article indicates that, amazingly, you might (barely) be making it healthier that way.

Meanwhile, this article indicates the next front in the drug war should be Wisconsin. I suppose it's too much to hope for that "gorgonzola chic" ever catches on.

Okay, now that I know who the voice in those ads for 10-10-987 is, I'm really certain I don't want John Stamos to rule the world.

Sometimes I do get depressed at my lot in life, and oddly enough, it's not when I see myself as different from the rest, it's more when I read articles like this and discover that I'm just one of the masses in this here town. So what gets me out of a funk like that? Realizing I'm not a New York Met, I'm not losing battles to a mascot, and I don't have to "pay tribute to Damion Easley." Realizing I don't have to hide behind a fake name. Realizing I don't write copy for Reuters that includes the word "nizzle-shizzling". Realizing I'll be able to confuse generations after me by simply writing something down. And possibly more than anything, realizing my special powers include being able to destroy Craig's productivity with a single link.

POSSIBLY AMUSING ANIMAL NEWS
I'm utterly convinced that when they get done with draining the pond where they hope to find anthrax-manufacturing equipment, they'll find one thing: Snakeheads.
This amuses me. Especially the fact that people were buying the Generation III dogs, that "could indicate the first letter of the drug's name".

And finally a note for you Cubs fans, linking nicely with the Elko Dependents plague. According to this study, the Cubs are a 50% lock to win the series by 2025! A. Whitney Brown said it best. "It's somewhere in the back of the book of Revelation. 'when the small bears from the windy place take the flag, ye shall know the world is nigh.'"

No comments: