Monday, June 16, 2003

Today (or more probably, yesterday), if you didn't know, was Bloomsday, the day upon which James Joyce set Ulysses. Writer's Almanac gives it a good treatment. However, being the perverter of academia that I am, and being of that strain of quiz bowler who will not lie as to having finished it (or for that matter cared to start it), the anniversary is more important for something I found a while back. While perusing my Biographical Dictionary of the World's Assassins, I happened upon the entry describing the death of N. I. Bobrikov, Governor General of Finland for the Russian tsar. Bobrikov's assassination was part of the impetus for Finns to overthrow Russian control of the region. The date of Bobrikov's death, June 16, 1904. So I now always wander around with this odd link in my mind, of Molly Bloom falling asleep, "and yes I said yes I will liberate Finland."

No comments: