Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Joe touched on this last week, partly to tweak me, partly because you can tell you're reading about how hard up my old hometown is today. They're going to build a Waffle House in Washington County, right off Interstate 79 in Meadow Lands. This represents a major breach in the Maginot Line. The running joke among many quiz bowlers has been that Waffle House was invading, but had been stopped at the Mason-Dixon, with some thanks from our allies at Tim Horton's coming down from Canada. But now we're stuck with one.
One one hand it only serves to reinforce the notion that, while I can slide around the issue, when it boils down to it, I'm definitely from redneck country. While I don't attempt to hide it before those who would rather put on airs of their own cultural superiority, I admit I don't revel in it. It just is. On the other hand, I look at and realize that in all likelihood, that Waffle House might be the third best source of revenue my old school district will have. The top draw is the dump. The dump has a deal with New Jersey to take a lot of its non-hazardous waste, and as a result, it gets lots of revenue, and pays lots in tax. Second place might just be the McDonalds at the same exit they're going to put the Waffle House. Even at that, I'm not certain that the area will get any relief. We have a long tradition of businesses building just outside the district, and I have the nasty feeling that while the access road the Waffle House is demanding (demanding?!), will probably end up part of the township budget, the Waffle House might just pull the same trick, and building tantalizingly close to the township border.

UPDATE: Maybe, just maybe, they should have called it Prong.

UPDATE: Wichita Falls! Welcome to the party. No, I don't want to know about your convention center. It's okay. No, really. Cherokee, I have a watch.

No comments: