Friday, November 01, 2002

Matt adds his take today.

Tomorrow morning, I get to enjoy one of the great holiday traditions. Every November 1, a big bag of candy appears in the office kitchen. I finally realized this afternoon that it probably was someone just getting rid of the overflow from what they bought to hand out to the neighborhood kids. What's depressing about that is that until today I thought it was some parent giving us the stuff because their little young'uns had OD'ed the night before on the other half of the bag, doing Pixy Stix like they were Mrs. Mia Wallace. Somehow, not having a wicked parent steal their children's hard begged loot just takes the whole magic out of the evening for me.

I just noticed that I hadn't announced the fate of the software. It finally was expelled out the airlock last Friday, we're not sure if it's clinging to the hull.

Consider this: While you're walking around a used bookstore, you see something that's available for a dollar. You look at it, and realize you could probably write only one question on the material in it, and then you wouldn't use it again (not even to read, assume its something that has no value outside of quiz bowl). Would you even consider buying it? If not, what price would you pay? If yes, how high does that price have to go before you say no?
The reason I ask was that I saw a bunch of travel guides at the local Half Price Books for such tourist hot spots as Stockholm, Cyprus, and Tunisia. Each for a dollar. Didn't buy any, but I was tempted. I admit I buy a lot of used books for purely quiz bowl purposes, but it's always been stuff that I could always justify getting the cost back in total questions written. My gut is my single question value lies somewhere between $1, and the $.10 I paid for the Reader's guide to Belgian Literature, which is terribly amusing, but really dumb, and certainly not worth writing anything out of it..

No comments: