Tuesday, November 19, 2002

It was very odd today at work. They let go 19, two in my department, which kind of gives me one of those odd mixed feelings. It's not like the testing group was overstaffed before, and with two less people we're only going to be further stretched. On the other hand, it was a guy with more seniority than me and a guy with less seniority, which means that I was probably dubbed irreplaceable. Good grief.
This is only the second time I've seen someone fired while here, and that previous time was kind of obvious that he wasn't getting a grasp of the problem. Nonetheless, this was more than a little surprising.

Meanwhile, they've cleaned out everyone on the other side of my cubicle wall so that they can continue the extreme programming experiment. I'm doubtful as to its efficacy in our environment, since it seems to favor small projects with little legacy code to integrate them, neither of which really apply to our company. We will see. Hopefully they won't be too loud. If not, you'll be hearing it here.

No comments: