Wednesday, November 06, 2002

I had no idea there was a Thornburg, PA.
And yet while tracking my order online I discovered the town is just barely 8 miles from where I live. I think this is a sign my local geography goes as that New Yorker cover does, north of 279.

Two things which kind of amused me for their incongruity:
Anne Rice is apparenlty a season ticket holder for the New Orleans Hornets.
While playing around with isotopes, bashing them into each other, scientists may have inadvertently created the tetraneutron, a reasonably stable arrangement of four neutrons, which would be the densest element (as well as having an atomic number of zero, which will make computer scientists very happy.)

Well, the Republican faithful are happy, but I'm not necessarily. The win in the Senate is nice, but I am hoping it's balanced at 51-48-1, preventing the assumption of lockstep conservatism, or perhaps because I don't want the appearance of it. Memo to anyone who's crying right now: So, you got your butt kicked. This happens on occasion. But you'd better get up. You whiffed here. You didn't articulate much more than "what he said, only I'm better, isn't that obvious to you?", and you didn't connect with it. Guess what, you lose that way. And now, if you sit there bitter and moping, you're going to tell me I'm a fascist, or evil, or something else. No, and I don't like being called that any more than you would. So don't go there. Don't fight dirty either. Come up with something positive, and fight for a good idea, not for a party.
Because of my tendencies (socially liberal, fiscally reactionary) I didn't like the election, despite voting pretty much in favor of it. I didn't expect Fisher to win, he had run a general campaign as bad as Rendell had run in the primary, and Rendell had the money advantage. The problem I see now is that because this was a rare and significant Dem pickup, by a former DNC power player, the state capital became the bully pulpit for opposition to Washington, rather than what it needs to be, a place to get things done to keep people, jobs, and business from leaving the state. If he manages to do that, that's fine, and really what he offered wasn't significantly different from Fisher's case, so I'll live with it. If he ends up spending more time on Hardball than in Harrisburg, well, we'll be in the same boat we were this time, and the time before that, and before that....

No comments: