Friday, March 26, 2004

Sometimes, no matter how much I try, some logical inconsistency just completely wrecks my ability to deal with a concept. I ran into this with Infinite Jest when I got to the part around page 80 with the simple phrasing of how a team traded for a punter. At that point I put down the book, and just sat there saying "You don't trade for a punter!" I've got my list of crimes against nature, and I'm pretty sure that's on it. Every time I try and pick the book up again, I go back to that spot, and bang. "You don't trade for a punter!" People tell me it's a REALLY good book, and he's a REALLY good punter, and still "YOU...DO...NOT...TRADE...FOR...A...PUNTER!" It's like there's a short in my brain, and everytime that neuron fires, the entire system reboots.

S'anyway... Last night, I'm watching the World Poker Tour, and a commercial pops on. "The Kalahari is coming to Sandusky, Ohio." Phrases like that will get my attention, I could be comatose and that would tilt my head like a bewildered German shepherd. So it turns out it's this, which admittedly, is exactly what Sandusky is there for. (It used to be Sea World and Geauga Lake before they were eaten by Six Flags Uber Alles.) But it's not the phrase "The Kalahari is coming to Sandusky, Ohio" that's bothering me. No, it's the name. And that little neuron that fires off every time Infinite Jest is mentioned is at it again. "You don't name a water park after a desert!" Go to look at the website. "You don't name a water park after a desert!" Look at the website Kondominiums (That's Quality with a capital K.) "You don't name a water park after a desert!" I'm sure my Wisconsin readers will say it's a REALLY good waterpark, but still "YOU...DO...NOT...NAME...A...WATER...PARK...AFTER...A...DESERT!"

No comments: