Tuesday, March 16, 2004

So, I'm half way to finishing the job. After my ISP got eaten, I needed to redo all my web pages, and since they were non-functional, I took it upon myself to rewrite them, and learn a new scripting language in process. Then I had to push through my natural cheapness to actually pay for the additional services. (Comparative times: 8 days to do the coding, 2 months to overcome the cheapness.) I'm now done with the two bits I needed to have done. Both the Reference Desk and the Freshman Contact List are done. (At least the back code, the data always needs more time, I'm only about 10% through the site listings I need for the refdesk, though now I have it set up so I can automatically update everything.) On top of which, I now have a web site (well, an actual site, more than a page, though less than an actual useful site.) I tried for the obvious one, fraught.com, only to find it not available, though the only reference to it was this fascinating article about which English words were not websites in 1999. Some of these I really should have considered: nilpotent, ratiocinate, and ruminant have interesting appeals, perhaps only to me. Ultimately it was either deksdesk.com, which had the possibility of a cool logo, but no chance of anyone ever typing it right, or what I chose, which is at least associable to me, and a perfect description of a site tied to a test engineer. What do I deal with all day? Fraught machines.
Basically, I just bought space for a lab, and right now, it looks like I've paid no attention to aesthetics. Good. I figure this page may move over there some time, but I don't know for sure yet. I've got ideas of useful things to put over there, but I have other things to do for now. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: