Tuesday, November 18, 2003

It keeps playing in my head. Two pieces of information, floating around in my head. First, we have the discovery of this, mentioned at TRASH regionals, and also sitting in the sidebar when I went looking for more info about Turkey and Gravy soda. The second bit came from something that happened at Sunday dinner (not involving turkey and gravy, this time it was pork roast.) My father, as he occasionally does, was lying in wait with a little bit of trivia he picked up from somewhere: "What country is the leading exporter of olive oil?"* I then proceeded to wow him by remembering something I heard from an episode of Follow that Food with Gordon Elliott (called "Follow that Olive") that I happened across one night while flipping channels.

So naturally, upon waking this morning, I was greeted by the notion of an episode of Follow that Food, called "Follow that Pimp", wherein we would learn such important things as:
1. How does one harvest pimps?
2. Are pimps graded after harvesting for quality?
3. How does one know if they are ripe?
4. Do they ripen after harvesting?
5. How does one juice a pimp?
6. Does it involve special equipment?
7. For example, one of those Juiceman things available for four easy payments of $19.99?
8. Do you need to clean the pimp before juicing (removing the hat, for example)?
9. When is pimp season?
10. Would the seasonal hat indicate this?**
11. Besides drinking, is pimp juice used in any finer culinary centers?
12. How about Chicago? Gordon loves going to Chicago, can we get this expensed as a business trip?

Sorry, folks, I just had to get that out of my head. Since this morning I've had Gordon Elliott (making that face) in my head saying things, in his oddly excited Australian baritone, like "We're here in Bay City, in one of the world's PREH-MEER PIMP GROWING REGIONS..." and "his family has been growing pimps in this valley since BEFORE THE CIVIL WAR..." and "all THIS...from ONE PIMP? That's amazing..."

While I'm sure the rest of you would prefer that if I have Gordon Elliott inside my skull, I keep him in there locked down, I really need the space.

* Spain, if you must know.
** That's just there to crack Craig up.

Update: I think the reason this is playing in my head so badly is my one utterly failed experiment with an electric juicer. Somehow, the classic velour pimp hat is getting cross linked with a kiwifruit in my head, and I'm recalling the time I figured the juicer would be able to handle the whole fruit, whether or not I peeled the fuzz off the kiwi. Let's just say you should, and it's your kitchen tip for the day.

No comments: