Sunday, April 20, 2003

Sign I'm probably a bad person:
My continuing thought with these cards showing pictures of the Iraqis is whenever one's captured, there's got to be some sergeant on stockade duty slowly driving the prisoners crazy with a repeated "Pick a card, any card...Is THIS your card?!?" I'm pretty sure that the Geneva Convention never covered taunting via bad close-up magic, but maybe it should.

This article I can't figure out. It feels like snake oil, because it should feel like snake oil. But on the other hand you've got the idea which is essentially sound. I speculate the answer lies between the two. It does break it down, it just goes nowhere near the levels of efficiency they promise. (They're promising 85%, I gotta figure even 8.5% would be great.)

This article highlights something I've always wondered. As screwed up as publishing numbers are, is that overestimation part of what funds the secondary bookstore market? When I go into Book Country or Half Price Books around here, I keep thinking, price X was assigned to this book, when it was published, for a reason. That you can have entire chains of stores filled with books that someone thought would sell, but didn't, indicates that you're got a fundamental problem. I understand that inventory and consumer choice are the key issues here, but I keep looking at this and understanding why amazon.com went after the book market first.

Now for this article, the law of unintended consequences says we're just one step away from calling a network Prong, aren't we?

No comments: