Thursday, March 10, 2005

Things have come full circle up at the parents' place, my dad went and bought a computer, and it was a Mac. I had suspected this was coming for a couple weeks now, my father had been having serious issues with his Windows box, between Microsoft and McAfee both forcing updates and shooting the legs out from under each other's changes, I had a feeling something like this could happen. I had been betting on him bringing in the Mac Mini or mini-Mac or whatever it's called, as a media box/toy, but this was a different model, a little higher function. He's been getting increasingly ticked off at Microsoft, and I've been feeding him things to get away from them (OpenOffice, Firefox, etc.) for some time. I think I may have given him the final straw for pitching the Windows as all but a legacy system this weekend. He's been obsessive about transferring his older media over to digital. Lots of vinyl and reel-to-reel stuff. He bought a special package a couple years back to do high level digital noise reduction and the like so he could put these on CD for storage. Well, I downloaded a copy of Audacity for him. We'll see if screaming follows. (My cheapness is genetic. If I blew that much on software where free software could do equal or better, I'd scream.)

It's not the first time we've had one up there. We had an original edition Mac, circa '84, we even had to have it upgraded to 512k, but never got around to getting a disk drive to run 800k disks. I pretty much spent a good four years with that as my base machine for school work.

It does seem kind of weird to have him zip around me on the tech front, kinda like life before college.

No comments: