Monday, June 24, 2002

The double-edged sword that is television

On one hand what this article (cribbed from a slashdot reference) says is probably true, that the high end UHF stations may be doomed by digital conversion, and that we'll lose them anyway to wireless network bandwidth. On the other hand, my father can tell me exactly when channel 53 in Pittsburgh came on the air, because he saw it turn on. And really, 53 (and 22 to a lesser extent) made me the trash player I am today, so knowing that someone's gunning for them is a bit depressing.

Speaking of things only on UHF, I also got news today that the NWFL revolution will be televised Not well televised, mind you. I'm familiar enough with WBGN to know that it will have the ratings of C-SPAN. But I'm all for them having the game aired. Gives me a reason to show up.

No comments: