Monday, July 05, 2004

Day 3
Sunday can be a much faster description because it didn't have nearly the photos. The morning started out questing for wireless. I hadn't had any luck since Pittsburgh, so we headed to the one place in the city I figured it was available, the only Panera in town, only to find their location was having IT trouble. No luck there. Facing failure, we decided I'd simply upload using Joe's computer that night.

Here's some photos from the morning drive:
We both see the superego in the troika that is ego: Wal-Mart ball :: id: Evil Otto. Not to mention the random typo in the sign below him.

Joe describes this as the most inexplicably unparsable sign in his neighborhood, and that's saying something.

Decadent Uzbeks!


After the Panera failure, and a walk through an abandoned book store, we headed down to Hollywood, figuring I needed to see the Chinese Theatres and the rest of the tourist traps. We ended up also seeing Dodgeball, seemingly the only appropriate response to the night before.

Sign I had recovered from the impact of last night:
Joe: Noting this image before I snapped it: "Natalie Wood's shoeprints don't drain well."
DEK: (One second later) "Neither did Natalie Wood."

All the great dangers to American democracy in one location: Serial killers and freemasons.

I'm taking this in the event X Bowl ever gets resurrected.

Image double feature: I kept getting the notion of Kraft Sushi and Macaroni, it's the Sushiest. Then I looked next door at Mishima, which from here appears to be a lighting store. Fascist lighting that explodes the light bulbs via seppuku.


We went in quest of a view of the LA River after the film, and sort of got it. I'm not going to worry about it. Cement is cement. After stopping for dinner, and then for supplies for the apartment, Joe and I headed out for the last bit of LA entertainment of the first leg. Joe happened to find an announcement of the band Pretzel Logic, a Steely Dan cover band. There are worse ways to spend a Sunday night, though it was kind of odd having to both explain it to Joe, and try and parse it myself. (The band went deep into the early albums where I don't have the knowledge.)

No comments: