Thursday, October 10, 2002

Several bits approaching a full thought.

Just when I was getting really ticked at Bill Simmons (and incidentally, as fast as the circuit has turned on Bill Simmons, you'd think he welched on a tournament), he went and hit a soft spot for me. In this week's bit he brought up Polar Seltzer Cranberry Lime. He's right, it is addictive (they had it in Ithaca and Connecticut), and could probably get myself a good smuggling operation getting it into Pittsburgh. That and the stuff where they dump orange juice in the seltzer.

Craig is doing a battle of the songs (I would expect most of my readers have already seen it, but to quote the great Joaquin Andujar: Youneverknow.) There is no greater joy in quiz bowl than being able to drop the phrase "anapestic heptameter" into a discussion of Aerosmith. Well, with the exception of watching people's reaction to that. Essentially that's why I've never found any logic to the separation of trash and "legit"; neither side, kept isolated, is as amusing and compelling as they are when integrated.

Incidentally, "Save the Anapest Campaign" has replaced the "National Kidney Bean Foundation" as the "Fake Charity Name I'd Love to Run, Were I Inclined to Fraudulent Behavior."

Just when I thought Sesame Street couldn't get weirder...this

Quick, name a Dutch fiction author! Do it NOW! Unless you're Dutch, or I've done this to you before (or Joe did it to you, or Paul Harm maybe), you can't. It'll make your head hurt. I'm putting my penny down on Dutch author Cees Nooteboom in tomorrow's Nobel sweepstakes. Mostly because I saw a predicted short list a few years back, and well, it's an awesome name. Vonnegut wouldn't hurt either, but I have little hope for that ever happening.

Day 17.
17A. Historic US Maps
17B. Famous Trials
17C. Amino Acids
17D. A Great Day in Harlem
17E. History of Economic Thought

No comments: