Monday, October 07, 2002


"'It does not appear to be epidemic,' he said. "
Yes, this is a tragedy. But I defy you to get through this, reading it closely, without busting out laughing. I've now got two points running through my head. First, that Reebok(or Nike, or whatever company) ad with the crazy French being dubbed into English makes a heck of a lot more sense now. Second, we will, of course, be doomed when the word gets out among them that we taste like them.

Brian points out this story. I'll add one point to this, which makes it exceedingly cool to me. I'd have to look at a very close map, but I probably lived right next to the disputed area when I worked in Connecticut. I was definitely within 40 feet of the state border, or if this report is correct, within 100 feet.

As an only child, there are certain things I simply won't understand about sibling relations. However, while I was reading to get to sleep I ran across the following statement:
"When his brother had a gall bladder operation, [Benjamin] Franklin invented the catheter..."
This of course required some checking of facts, and it appears the important word "flexible" was missing from that statement.
Now then, those of you with siblings, riddle me this: If your brother was sick, would the first thing you would think of doing would be to stick a tube in him. And perhaps more importantly, would you let your brother stick his new toy in you?

The Nobel Prizes are being announced this week. Please keep up with this all week so you can score the cheap 150 points all year. Last week's Ig Nobel Prizes will probably also net you a quick 50 or so.
I especially approve of the concept of the Chemistry winner, if only to allow us to take King Missile at their word that they did, in fact, saw the legs off the periodic table.

Day 15.
15A. The Constants and Equations Page
15B. Ballparks.com
15C. Ethnologue database
15D. AllAfrica
15E. Monarchs of Britain

No comments: