Tuesday, September 03, 2002

A three day weekend with little to report, unless you're into carpet cleaning, moving furniture or editing questions.

After analyzing the settlement, I'm wondering if it will have any more effect than simply continuing the status quo. For very cheap owners, they will just pocket a lot of the extra revenue. The way the cap sets up, you're going to see a lot of contracts laid out to take complete advantage of the "if you don't violate the limits until 2006, you can abuse it all you want in 2006 with no penalty." So teams get a capologist, big deal. Also, we still have major draft issues.

Giving props to EricS and his culinary weblog, a couple of notes.

The local grocery store had a special on swordfish steaks, prompting me to grill a couple up on Saturday. I'll give the slight recipe, since my method of cooking is much more of a flying blind approach. Dry rub on the steaks: Paprika (x2), black pepper, salt, pinch of sugar, pinch of citric acid (reading up on swordfish indicated an affinity for sour flavor, and allowed me to cut back a little on salt), with small amounts of, coriander(crushed), thyme, and rosemary. Rub lightly and grill. Served with steamed rice. For playing it on guts, having never done swordfish before, pretty good stuff. Oh, and Eric, yes, you do need an herb garden. I used the coriander and thyme from plants my mother had planted, while I had the rosemary in house. I'm on the hook for my parents' anniversary dinner this weekend, so I need to start figuring out something, more on this later.
These people, however, scare the crap out of me. Eat what you like, fine. To quote Jules Winnfield: "But, bacon tastes good."

Websites for quiz bowl:
Epitaphs from the last words people, I guess.
News for quiz bowl:
Lego continues to rule.
I keep waiting for this continuing story to get quiz bowl airplay, we'll see.
Meanwhile this story leaves me vexed, terribly, terribly vexed.
The bad side of this is that the whale has been totally screwed up by all sides in this mess.

For the couple of you who wondered: I'm perfectly cool with having other quiz bowlers reading this thing for ideas. So I'll try to keep the page freshman-friendly (and probably down into the high school ranks.) I'll try to include something useful for quizbowl with every entry during the year.