Monday, September 09, 2002

Notes from the weekend.

1. The folks enjoyed the meal. I'm off the hook for another year.
The Menu:
Cheese and Sausage appetizer (A cheat on my part)
Pesto Bruschetta (Not a cheat on my part, ground the dang pesto myself last week)
Green salad (Spinach spiked with a variety of items from the window boxes, including two types of basil, nasturtium, and
Marinated Green Beans with Roasted Red Peppers
Swordfish (preparation previously mentioned)
Lemon rice
A very random dessert which I cannot adequately describe here. Suffice it to say that it involves pineapple, rum, oranges, ice cream, and several things that you wouldn't expect to work together. It's also ridiculously good, but I need to actually work out the whole procedure before publishing here.

2. Notes from football.
Joe and I ended up watching the tail end ot the Chiefs-Browns game. There's a common running gag about certain Ohio teams among Steelers fans, mostly involving the Bengals, but it applied so nicely yesterday. Every year someone picks the Bengals to suddenly put it together, correcting almost two decades of collapse, and every year, they screw it up almost immediately (as seen by losing to SD). S' anyway, immediately after the (utterly stupid) penalty that put the game down to a field goal attempt by the Chiefs, Joe and I just looked at each other and said the exact same thing. "Nope, they're still the Browns."
I have a theory that incredible emotional letdowns on opening day are especially hard for teams to correct for, and with the fun of this weekend, I've immediately marked off the Browns, Bills and Cowboys as primed to implode this year.
To be sent to the Sports Guy: "At what point did we start calling him 'the finally healthy Eddie George', like 'the virgin Connie Swail' in Dragnet.

MarkC pointed out a scenario I would love to see between PIT and STL. However, I expect something similar tonight, involving a backfield of Ward and Steward with Randle El at QB and Bettis at TE. Immediately followed by Belichik frantically calling a time out. Then the MNF cameras pan over to the Steelers sideline to see Bill Cowher doubled over with laughter, saying "gotcha!"

Stuff to feed your quiz bowl tastes:
The Periodic Table of Mathematicians

No comments: