Wednesday, June 09, 2004

More on the HSNCT later. I'm dealing with other oddities.

Like this further proof that the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board is interested neither in Liquor nor Control.

Tonight they had the grand opening of the liquor store within the grocery store. (Not the first day it's been open, but they like to make a big deal about these things.) S'anyway...as I'm driving home, I see the materials laid out for the celebration. Chiefly this. All well and good, and reasonably appropriate. However, across the driveway from this tasteful sign is this, decidedly neither reasonable nor appropriate. Normally, these two objects should have no relation to each other, but this is Pennsylvania. Frankly, I'm baffled as to the symbolism.

Is this a symbol that Keebler's fine baked goods are the perfect accompaniament to a fifth of Jack?
Is this a symbol that if you drink too much, you'll begin to hallucinate 30 foot-tall mythical dwarves (possibly with helium hats.)
Is it a new public service campaign. "Hey kids, Ernie checks ID's, and if yours is fake, he'll stomp your house like it's Tokyo! A message from the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board."
Is Keebler's making New S'mores Schnapps?

The other thing I'm concerned about with this is the fact that we've got a lot of storms flying through the area tonight, with tremendous wind gusts. Now say one of those wind gusts brings Ernie over to my apartment block. I can think of no better wakeup call in the morning than looking out your third-floor window while half-asleep to find Ernie's a peeping Tom. You might not blink ever again. And yes, by mentioning this possibility, I have made myself the perfect prank target, why do you ask?

Now you see, I don't have to go looking for weird, it comes looking for me.

No comments: