Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Surfin' and turfin'

First of all, in the three hours since I changed the description file, I've picked up a new advertiser. I'm not sure exactly how "lunatic in shambles" maps to Dick Vermeil in the great advertising database, but it can't be any stranger than Craig's new sponsorship. I'm pretty sure, were I looking for Jesus at this exact moment, I'd wouldn't find him in the Census data. I'm pretty sure that's a lesser-known, but no less important, consequence of the separation of church and state.

Meanwhile, Dr. Pepper, is getting hammered for viral marketing, and while I can't blame people for hammering away, I can't really blame Dr. Pepper for trying to employ the medium. After all, whether it's people reading here (my last post) or if it's the current mutual admiration society being propagated on quizbowl, it's to a certain degree the same thing, you come for the content, you leave with an opinion which will influence where you're going to go. However, I can hammer Dr. Pepper really easily, if they're selling a “milk-based product with an attitude". Having seen previous incarnations of this concept, I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in drinking a carton of hate or a wedge of spite. I already get too much spite fed to me.

No comments: