Monday, March 10, 2003

Planting update. Dill has sprouted, basil has sprouted, mixed lettuce and spinach have sprouted. I'm managing to get slight leverage in the Mom-DEK guilt battle via this, since my aunt will go paranoid about planting for spring pretty much the moment I start laying this on heavy, and try to compel my mother into long hours in their greenhouse. More trays are in development. As I have said before, my mother can do the Dilbert's Mom thing a little too easily. I need all the ammo I can get.

I got back into Baseball Mogul over the weekend. The 2012 World Series threatens to be one of the best ever. Pittsburgh won 4-2 over Texas. Between an 11-inning Game 1, a 16-inning Game 4, and an amazing 6-6 performance by Pittsburgh's shortstop in Game 5, there was more excitement than I've ever gotten out of the game. I had to gut it out during the season, dealing off my MVP third baseman and my best homerun hitter, but dealing the former for my two top relievers, the latter for mostly cash and hopefully next year's number 2 starter, means I should have a shot at my sixth title while serving as GM. Hopefully I can translate this into Suck League prowess by doing everything backwards. (Incidentally, one slot remains to get us to 12 teams, we could go higher.)

Mike has decided to do a NIFL pick-em league. The management is not responsible for anyone maimed in the process of choosing their NIFL team. (Incidentally, you better be down with OVG.)

And now a joke for only those who are in NAQT. WOW! PANCAKES! For the rest of you. While in Chicago, a party of NAQTeers looked at a brochure, finding an entry for the Original Pancake House. The first sentence of the entry was, of course, "WOW! PANCAKES!" If there is a more perfect expression of "you are trying to make this so much more exciting than it is... and failing," it's screaming "WOW! PANCAKES!" Which fits the above article, and thus we have symmetry.

Actual knowledge for quiz bowl: How many of these do you recognize?

No comments: