Monday, August 09, 2004

Notes from the week:

I spent the last week either compiling my packet for Burns, doing the tournament, or recovering from it, so here's where I'll clean out the inbox.

Last Wednesday, Kenny sent me the link to this story, to which he noted:
I would put the over/under on FOX airing "The Running Man" at about 18 months...

And just as I was all set to post up, Olbermann pointed out the really scary bits of this on Countdown, that same night.

The House of Wacky Prop Bets will go over on that, after all, I can't see them doing it so obviously while the current governor is the Butcher of Bakersfield.

Found item: Altoids has added licorice to its flavor mix, or as they have spelled it in British: "LIQUORICE". I await the ad with Jessica Simpson asking "is it liquor or is it ice?" It appears to be isolated to the Ohio turnpike. Eating one is kind of like eating a black jelly bean the size of your head, and has the interesting effect of leaving a coating on your tongue (of flavor, not color, the mints are pure white.) On the other hand, while the can is closed, it disturbingly smells a little like Brut. If you like licorice, recommended, if not, well...

In our cute animals department: upon entering the parents' home last night, they were all atwitter about their new arrival. It seems that a small brown bat has made a sleeping spot for itself under the eaves next to the front door. Yes, I'm only mentioning this so I can say: "Don't you understand... THIS IS BAT COUNTRY!!!"

And finally, last night, I had one of those moments. While talking on the phone, I looked down to see a bag labeled "Half Price Books" lying on the floor. So while sitting there listening, I thought: "When did I buy those books?" and for the life of me I couldn't remember. The sudden feeling of "yeah, Dwight, maybe it is time for an intervention." came over me, as the possibility of me having used book purchasing blackouts became apparent. Pawing at the bag, revealing it only had a couple magazine back issues in it released the tension, but only slightly. Just not a good feeling to ever have.

No comments: