Saturday, August 28, 2004

I'm not even going to imply that these are related:

1. While flipping through channels last night, I found myself watching Telefon, probably the first film to introduce me to the immutable law of film cliche "if there's a shot panning over a rattlesnake in a glass cage, you're going to see that glass cage upset sometime soon. I was able to notice this at the age of 8, so I feel good about that as a formative experience. S'anyway, way earlier in the film last night, I noticed something I hadn't noticed in years, in retelling the list of dead Russians, Tyne Daly utters the phrase "Sailing Mishap", in almost exactly the same tone as which was used as a laugh line in a Teen Girl Squad.

2. Between the recent fight between the Pirates and Rockies, a Pirate leading the league in HBP, and Ty Wigginton's apparent fetish for reenacting David Cronenberg's Crash with himself and catchers (Previously, Koyie Hill, today, Yadier Molina), I'm wondering if someone should be releasing "Lloyd McClendon's Combat Baseball."

3. While at a Washington Wild Things game earlier in the month, I kept hearing them promote "Washington Redbirds Night", which is tonight. I had never heard of the Washington Redbirds, and none of the local historians I knew had. Doing some research, I found this as part of 30pointsthis. So now I know.

4. While perusing this, I found myself surprised by a listing for peru, as a color. Now I had never heard of this, and suspected it was a load of gypsum. Even dictionary.com and Roget's Thesaurus failed to give anything. Then I thought about it, and realized it was probably an in joke: Peru brown being the approximate tone of Paddington Bear, rare sort of bear from said locale. Can't prove it yet, but it at least seems logical.

No comments: