Thursday, May 06, 2004

Okay, nice enough show, can you stop telling me about it now?

I ended up watching the last episode of Friends. Note that this is a major step for me, as this was also the first time I've ever actually watched the show. (Given I have spent 12 years with practice being Thursday night, save nine months and summers, this shouldn't surprise.) Whereas previously I had only thought of the characters as annoying with no correlation to my life, now I have the impression of them as annoying and maudlin. I guess that's an improvement, as now they have two dimensions of characterization, though I concede that's purely the result of it being the natural suckiness of any planned last show. I'll even concede that my entire viewpoint is skewed by years of people telling me "You don't watch Friends?" and then looking at me like they suddenly realized I was Peter Lorre in M.

No comments: