Tuesday, December 10, 2002

Notes from the weekend:

I'm not flying Delta ever again, if I can avoid it. The fact it took me longer to fly to Chattanooga than it would take me to drive there was enough of an annoyance.

The tournament was all right, though I think I'm losing my sense of wonder at such things. We did what we could, and while I would have liked to win, third place wasn't a failure. It was good to see all the people there.

Craig brought up a point on his weblog, that kind of relates what I've been thinking is happening with trash. Namely, the trash circuit is approaching the point that ACF and NAQT have hit in the past, where it is impossible to facilitate both the high level player, and the entry level player, with the same set of questions. The good thing is that I think that the trash circuit got to see the NAQT growing pains and is taking a similar approach. Trash has a three-fold problem here in that not only don't the top players retire, but they have a fairly different set of priorities as to what they feel makes a balanced packet, as compared to newer players. This, when combined with the natural experience gap, and the specialization of players into either trash or non-trash play, make a three-headed monster of a problem.
I guess I'll be revisiting this in future.



No comments: