Tuesday, December 24, 2002

First of all a happy holiday(s) to all. I never remember to send out cards, so this will have to do. Off to do the Christmas visiting rotation. (Four, maybe five houses in 36 hours.)

But before I leave some oddity:
Joe saved Christmas for my family, I can't elaborate until after the holiday, but I appreciate it.

I probably put myself on a naughty list somewhere. While entering the grocery store last night, I saw that a sticker had fallen off of one of those stuffed toys with a voice chip inside. "Squeeze Me, I TALK." Naturally seeing this as an opportunity for mischief, I picked it up. I initially thought about putting it where it could do the most damage, one of the cacti in the flower section, but I restrained myself, and merely put it on a 4-pack of Charmin.

This is of course not the best holiday chip fun. My friend Ryan topped it all one year at a Target. While passing through the toy section, he happened across "Talking Pooh and Tigger" Each one fired off in response to noise from the other, making conversation. Of course, there is a fatal flaw in this toy; namely that they forgot that if you put two Pooh's very close to the Tigger, both will fire off, and likewise two Tigger's close to the Pooh. (Incidentally, why does "Two Tiggers Close to the Pooh" sound like a Pogues album? Or is that just me?) And now Mr. Wizard will give you all a lesson in feedback and chain reactions. Ryan went right down the line, and fired all the Poohs at the same time. Overload. Not only did the Tiggers go off, but then the Poohs behind them, and then the Tiggers, and by that time, the Pooh in the front had stopped and were restarted. Soon the entire section was overcome.


Meanwhile, I lost out in the final of fantasy football. Simple reason, same thing that's haunted me all year. Daunte or Trent, Daunte or Trent. I went 9-4-3 on picking the right one going into this week, and just whiffed. However, Byko did the same, choosing the wrong two recievers to bench, so it all balances out. Congratulations, Byko.

I don't usually comment on baseball that isn't the Pirates, but this one demanded it, and it's been in my head ever since I saw it.

Scene: the set of Card Sharks
Jim Perry: "Okay, we asked 100 rotisserie baseball commissioners, if a trade of Kevin Millwood for Johnny Estrada needed your approval, would you block it? How many fantasy baseball commissioners said 'Yes, they would block that trade'?"

Peace on Earth folks, except in the toy aisle.

No comments: