Wednesday, September 01, 2004

In real life, people have asked, "So Dwight, what do you actually do all day?" And my stock answer has been "I break things for money," which has the advantage of being both true and undistinguishing of my job of testing engineering software from that of a mob enforcer. Occasionally our software ends up showing up in the darnedest places, like a couple years back where our stuff was kind of key in figuring out if they could raise the Hunley. Well, our stuff's at it again, but I'm now ticked at the Canadian government. Our company's helping to back the da Vinci Project (No, we're not Golden Palace), which is a Canadian entrant in the X Prize competition. Apparently the government won't let them fly without insurance, but no insurance company has ever had to write a policy for this, and so they're all apparently overpricing. On the other hand, the jokers at the Winnipeg Sun are managing to drive the price up. Of course, on any insurance claim, they'd be coming after my company, and more specifically, my butt. Admittedly, there would be something cool about being the guy responsible for the obliteration of Saskatoon (the post here would read "Saskatoon blow'd up. My bad."), it's something the Bond villain in me would aspire to. And yes, the job description of Bond villain is also undistinguished from software testing, by my description.

No comments: