Tuesday, September 28, 2004

I'm apparently not the only one in the family with powers. My mother seems to have the ability to bring destruction wherever she leaves. I phrase that specifically that way, because nothing bad happens until after she leaves. It used to be a one-year to 18-month delay, the key data points on this being our family trip to Alaska, one year before the Exxon Valdez, visiting Yellowstone about 16 months before the nearly the entire park got burnt off, and her trip to Myrtle Beach being one year before the condo she was staying in getting flattened by a hurricane. Why do I mention this? I think the time delay is shrinking. In the past 72 hours:

-- They announced that Mount Saint Helens has been having tremors. She bought me a T-shirt from their trip there after the wedding.
-- An earthquake struck the middle of California, where she drove past before the wedding.
-- Hurricane Jeanne rolled up the coast, just after she left my aunt's in the Carolinas.

And what happened while she was out of town? Ivan rolled through here.

We'll try and keep her immobilized, but no promises.

No comments: