Saturday, April 24, 2004

Draft day. And you know, if it weren't for my broken TV, I might have just skipped out on the tournament. (Not that I would really, but, you know, when things are running well, I mean really running well, and you realize you're that cruising so well, it's occasionally hard to feel like you're not slightly redundant in making it work.) Having the ESPN web feed in the tab room really helped, though I doubt I'll ever find out if Dennis Green, in picking Larry Fitzgerald, actually had the look of Rottweiler contemplating a raw steak.

So, it's hard for me to figure if the Steelers actually got a steal or not in round 1. I had sort of mentally conceded that Rothlisberger was not going to be available at 11, and was starting to worry that Rivers (who I had eventually picked as the second best QB, but likely the 3rd to go) was going to be headed to Cleveland (crazy talk, I know, given they just picked up Garcia, but it was looming in my head.) So when I heard that Rivers was gone at four, Rothlisberger felt like a step down, despite me initially thinking he was the one we wanted. Equally crazy, but one cannot expect fandom to be balanced by logic on draft day.

My main concern now, is why I'm worried about Rothlisberger. I think I can sum it up in the following three unreasons.
1. Rothlisberger is just not a name I trust on a quarterback. That many letters needs to be across the shoulders of a lineman, otherwise it's going to read "LISBERG" and a blur of arm motion.
2. Similar to this, I really don't know if Myron can pull an entire season of "And look at that pass by Rothlisberger." Myron dodged the Fuamata-Ma'afala bullet by cutting it to "Fu". I don't see a similar easy trim here. Roth doesn't quite work, and I suspect much mangle and "yoy" in his future.
3. I'm still stuck on the fundamental beauty of what the Steelers plan had to have been with Philip Rivers. Take him, force kicker Jeff Reed to change numbers, and then give it to the quarterback. How perfect would it have been to see on every Sunday at the confluence.

RIVERS
3


Thing of beauty I tell you.

No comments: