Friday, July 18, 2003

Okay, Craig's given a good overview of the trip (Parts one and two), and Mike is about to unleash his version, so rather than give you 50% more Rashomon, I'll just add some footnotes. Please start off reading their versions, up to day 3 and come back here when you're done.

I'll wait.....

Okay, done? Good.

Day 1:
Before we leave the Ann Arbor-Livonia metroplex: The cooler (a former Honeybaked Ham container) begins to squeak loudly from rubbing on the back seat. I immediately respond with "What's that boy... Timmy's trapped in a walk-in refrigerator?!" This immediately starts the "name the cooler" competition. Winning entry: Caleb the Cooler.
Indiana toll road: What exactly is wrong with this picture? (update: Curse you, geocities!)
Gino's East: You can tell you're deep in sausage country when the options on your deep dish pizza are to have the sausage in patties or broken up. (For the record, patties is recommended, and it makes sense given breaking it up could release more grease.)
Miller Park: We need to remember to send this one to Page 2. Separated at birth: Wes Helms and John C. Reilly.
Driving through fireworks in the night: Dave had a video camera with nightshot. It will be interesting to see how similar the scenes shot in Wisconsin with nightshot resemble embedded reporter feed.
Black River Falls, WI, Super 8: The hunting lodge theme at the Super 8 was very cool. (One of my utterly botched shots was one of the bear towering over the lobby.) However, the really cool bit was the fact that they kept their pool running until 2am (a positively unheardof time). This allowed me two things I thought I'd miss out on for the Fourth of July: swimming and fireworks.

Day 2:
Breakfast: McDonald's. Sausage biscuit. This is the fourth meal I've had involving sausage. Must cut down.
Mall of America, The cereal snack store: Realizing I need to start eating healthier, I go with a snack with a Wheaties base. While this was my best option, the notion of Wheaties in a brownie form, marshmallow fluff binding, and a layer of chocolate icing isn't a long term winner.
Mall of America, Legoland: The amazing bit of the whole thing for me was not so much the giant statues, or the ingenuity of some of the designs, no, for me the two big things for me were the fact that you had benches made out of Lego. Structurally sound, but worn through in places from sitting.
Lunch: Arby's. The sausage streak is broken, but since I had the Chicken Bacon and Swiss, the pork product chain continues. In future we'll call this Hams across America.
Sioux Falls 1: The most amazing thing to me about the Sioux Falls Storm game has to be that the game was played on the same night that there was a Sioux Falls Canaries game in town. (The Canaries are Northern League baseball.) I didn't expect the two to be willing to conflict. I certainly didn't expect them to be willing to share the same parking lot. Yes, the arena and the stadium are adjacent. It appears that neither game suffered. Go figure.
Sioux Falls 2: They kept asking the fans at the Storm game to make some noise with their thunder sticks. Problem was, aside from the 5 or 6 sets dropped from a blimp in the arena, the only thunder sticks in the stadium were being beaten by a Bismarck fan.
Sioux Falls 3: Dinner, barbeque sandwich. Pork trend continues. Dessert: Snow cone. Sioux Falls breaks out real quality snowcones, I got Margarita flavor. Only problem is under fluorescent lighting, I'm eatin' the yellow snow. (Zappa will return later in the trip.)

Day 3:
Breakfast: Omlette, with ham. Streak continues. I totally befuddle a waitress in Sioux City by asking for hot tea. I'm not exactly sure what was so frightening to her about this, but for the rest of the meal our party is eyed strangely by the diner denizens.
Driving through Sioux City: At a stop light, we find a tire store which has made a statue entirely out of tire parts. Later, while stopping for gas, we find that they have made concrete barriers more weatherproof by wrapping them in strips of cut up tires. Conclusion: much as the ancient Sioux of the Plains used every part of the buffalo, the modern Sioux of the City use every part of the tire.
Rosenblatt Stadium 1: I understand it was 100 degrees, but if the crowd we saw was typical (three digits of attendance), they're in a lot of trouble.
Rosenblatt Stadium 2: By far the most disturbing mascot we encountered in our trip had to be the Coca-Cola polar bear. The reason for this was its method of interacting with the kids. First it would greet the child, then deflate its own head. Yes, the polar bear was an inflated suit surrounding its operator. So children would be greeted by this bear creature that would wiggle its ears by deflating slightly, then once it had the poor kid's attention, it would deflate it head completely. Once the kid is scarred for life by this behavior, pop it up to full size and move on. Creepy.
Rosenblatt Stadium 3: I bought a new hat, an simple Omaha Royals "O". My reasons: I could play games with people and my other hat on the trip, the Quebec Capitales "Q" hat, and swap them when people weren't looking. I also enjoyed the notion of odd letters on hats. I passed on some of the more interesting souvenirs: the angry O symbol on some hats, the Royals tarp crew shirt with the slogan "Shut up and Pull" (thanks, Craig) with the angry O dragging what looked like a distended colon, and a Warren Buffett bobblehead. Yes, I did say a Warren Buffett bobblehead, why do you ask?
Rosenblatt Stadium 4: Extra nice touch of the Omaha scoreboard: When the opposing team huddled at the mound, the scoreboard went to a view of a stopwatch and a digital count up of elapsed time. Excellent way to speed up the game.
Rosenblatt Stadium 5: Around the sixth inning, Craig went questing for a foul ball that had ended up in the right field stands. He attempted to get past the security people, and he did convince them to let him into the empty stands. However the ball had fallen down into a gap between the outfield expansion and the regular seats. He was able to see the ball, three drunk guys fighting over it, and a book someone had left behind. Ironically, it was part of the Left Behind series. It became increasingly obvious. Low attendance, surrounded by mascots behaving bizarrely, and abandoned books....obviously the Rapture hit Omaha. It was time to move on.
Lincoln: I break the trend up with Chili Cheese Fries. After Craig had fought the mascot (Homer the Saltdog), and I recorded the event, I went to get the fries and a Coke. After returning to my seat, I am surprised by Homer who demands to see the pictures, and sits down beside us. He reviews the film, including the fun with Omaha mascots, and leaves, apparently enjoying it. Five minutes later, I realize Homer has had his revenge; in sitting down, Homer passive-agressively knocked over my Coke while he had us distracted. Curse you, Homer! Vengeance will be mine!

No comments: