Tuesday, December 14, 2004

There's more to the kitchen at work than the vending machine. Occasionally people leave treats for us there, free to a good home. And in most cases I know of no better home than my digestive tract. Today I got burned on this. Someone left a half box of Caramel Apple Frangos, and I being my omnivorous self, went grazing. Okay, the key problem here is any two adjacent components worked together, but not as a three-part mix. (Caramel with liquid Jolly Rancher center, we can do that. Chocolate with Caramel center, we can do that.) Clearly, while caramel is a sufficient physical binding agent to combine the two, its an insufficient cognitive binding agent.

People had asked why I hadn't dropped the strikethru on Mr. Artest. Well, dumb me, I phrased it as Ron Artest, Rapper, which really isn't true, but then again, I wasn't going to be able to put Ron Artest, Record Executive in the block. (Joe had suggested the compromise I should have followed was striking out Ron Artest, and leaving Rapper there.) Also, I really wanted to give him the slight benefit of the doubt that the album thing might work out. Well, no. Bust out the strikethru.

Meanwhile, I'm debating another addition: The Pittsburgh Port Authority. Based on this article. The thing I'm having difficulty with is whether this is actually fraught, under previously established standards. Clearly this strategy is flawed, clearly it will lead only to trouble. However, there's only one particular trouble it'll lead to, the only question is not the form it will take, but WHEN the system will shut down. The key quote:

"I can't believe [Harrisburg] would abandon us now,"

Yeah. It's doomed, but is it fraught? You make the call.

No comments: