Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Mom's right.

Just something my mother noted to me a couple weeks back, and it's now playing in my head over and over. If you watch Food Network for any length of time, you'll realize there is only one common thread among all their cooks, which they all cling to with the ferocity of Peruvian soccer riot. They all cut onions for dicing exactly the same way. Take the ends off, peel, cut in half, set it on its flat surface, cut straight down halfway into the onion, then parallel to the cutting board, then dice. Nothing wrong with that, it's effective, but they omit one key fact: What the heck do you do with the rest of the onion after you get to the end of the volume you can dice that way? Nobody EVER shows that. (Thanks for passing the paranoia on to me, Mom.)

After being cut by the Steelers, Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala has been picked up by the Jaguars. As Craig pointed out, I can no longer be for Fu, I must fight Fu. This also means that the best short Myron Cope clip will be unavailable. That being one from a local car dealership where Fu and Myron were promoting, and one of Myron's lines to support Fu doing most of the ad was "Do tell, Fu." Between the vowel tone, the phonemes, and the Myron accent and lack of volume control, it's amazing how much this sounds like Vietnamese. Words can not do it justice.

For the record, this is not the same komodo dragon that munched Sharon Stone's husband's foot. Otherwise, I'd have blown a funny fuse when I read this.

Speaking of munching, while composing this, I've gotten unsolicited email from "Nigel Wilson", hopefully not the first expansion draft pick of the Florida Marlins, and from "Bennett Brower". That was different. It was "SPAM EMAIL", it didn't make me want to "BUY THINGS", it just made me want to put it in my "TRASH CAN". It's no "Soder Muncher" in terms of a fake spam name, (Still the gold standard, thanks Carey for pointing ol' Soder out) but a valiant effort.

Finally, I just found this really cool. As for whether it's useful, well, I guess I'm looking for a fundamentally different set of information than trained geologists.

No comments: